History

"ULJANIK" was founded in 1856, in the carefully selected bay of Pula as a shipyard of the Austro-Hungarian navy. The foundation stone was laid on December 9th by the Empress Elizabeth so, this date is celebrated as the anniversary of the Shipyard, one of the oldest in the world. Almost two years after laying the foundation stone - on October 5th, 1858, the first ship - Kaiser - having a deadweight of 5,194 tonnes, was launched from the berth. The construction of 55 ships of various type for the Austro-Hungarian fleet having a total deadweight of 53,588 tonnes followed.

It was named after an islet on which there used to grow olive trees while at present the steel and hull fabrication workshops are situated there. One olive tree has been preserved as a symbol.

In the long period of continuous work, the Shipyard from Pula passed through various development times. During the Italian rule it was engaged in repairs, docking and cutting of old ships. After the fall of Italy during the 2nd World War it became a German naval base. From 1947 it was being renovated under the Republic of Yugoslavia. It continued with the docking, reconstructions and repair of ships, while the first newbuilding was delivered in 1951. Under its ausslikees it developed engineering, electrical production and other productions.

In the independent and free Republic of Croatia, starting from 1990, it becomes a joint-stock company, undergoes the critical years of attack upon Croatia, continues with the shipbuilding production of different and special ships and in the second half of 1998, it enters the period of great technological rebuilding. In the period from 1947 to the end of 1998, Uljanik delivered 194 newbuildings, totalling more than 6 million DWT, to buyers from all continents.

Uljanik's experts design, construct and build all types of ships i.e. ships for transportation of oil and oil products, bulk cargoes, containers, trucks, rail-carriages, cars, passengers...

It is difficult for Uljanik's people to mark off the most significant ship. Every ship is special - built according to the specific buyer's requirements.

With VLCC-s the Shipyard from Pula has developed the technology of building the hull in two parts and then joining them afloat. In this way, in the period from 1972 to 1976 there were built 11 ships and, among them the biggest ones, Tarfala of 275,000 dwt for the Stockholm based company "Trafialtiebolaget Grangesberg", and Kanchenjunga of 277,120 tonne dead-weight delivered to the Indian company - "The Shipping Corporation of India" in 1975.

By constructing new production halls in the area of ex Arsenal and by signing the contract with the Danish company, formally known as “Burmeister & Wain”, for purchasing the license for manufacturing diesel engines, ULJANIK Engineering was founded in 1953.

The first engine was manufactured and tested three years later in the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of establishing the shipyard on the 9th December 1956. This was the first big slow-running engine constructed in Uljanik and former country in general, engine type 762VTBF-115 having power 3.530 kW (4800 KS), intended also for the first bigger ship constructed in Uljanik which was named “ULJANIK”. From 1956 until the end of 2012 an overall 391 engines with a total power of 2.775,614 kW were manufactured.

Shipyard, 3.Maj from Rijeka, the second biggest shipyard in the northern Adriatic, was also integrated in the ULJANIK Group in the course of 2013.

Pogled na ULJANIK Brodogradilište Szent Istvan